Black Mold Exposure & Toxicity Symptoms

Black mold, or Stachybotrys as it is known scientifically, can cause side effects and is a slimy, dark-colored fungus that can appear in a home after water damage happens. 

There are health risks associated with exposure to black mold, and knowing what to look for can help you avoid the worst of them.

Black mold, like all types of mold, thrives in moist areas and on materials that have become wet. 

Black mold can appear in just 24-hours after moisture begins to form, and its colonies can spread in as little as one week to the size of a common kitchen plate.

For some people, exposure to black mold can lead to health issues like coughing,coughs, wheezing, burning eyes, itchy skin, and even more serious illnesses.

The most sensitive to exposure can suffer long-term health problems including psychiatric issues, joint pain, chronic asthma, and migraines.

Because of the potential for health issues, it is important to remove black mold as soon as you become aware that it is growing in your home. 

The certified experts at HRS Restoration Services can help. Our mold and water damage restoration in Phoenix and Denver technicians find the source of the moisture, stop the black mold growth, and clean and disinfect your space as quickly as possible. This helps you feel sure that the dangerous mold that was growing is no longer in your home.

Call our water damage restoration team in Denver and Phoenix for an appointment as soon as you suspect that black mold is growing.

 

What Is Black Mold? 

You might wonder what is black mold and what it can do to you. 

Black mold is the name of a type of mold that forms on moist materials. 

Despite its name, it isn’t always black in color. It is usually black, but can also be brown, green, or grey. Black mold can be slimy in texture and is not often fuzzy to the touch. 

Scientists call black mold Stachybotrys Chartarum. Like other molds, it is a fungus and emits spores that travel through the air. 

When a material becomes moist, black mold can attach to it and begin to form colonies. Once formed, the mold colony can begin to grow and spread quickly.  

 

Black Mold Vs. Toxic Mold

Like all types of mold, black mold can be toxic to those who are sensitive to its spores.

In most cases, black mold is no more toxic than other molds but may cause increased allergies in some who inhale its spores.

Black mold toxicity symptoms can affect people differently, and the range of illness varies based on factors like the size of the mold colony, pre-existing conditions, and the length of exposure.

 

How Dangerous Is Black Mold? 

Black mold, like other types of mold that grows when a space becomes moist after a water emergency, can be dangerous to some people, especially the young and those with pre-existing conditions.

People who are sensitive to black mold can begin to feel the effects of black mold exposure soon after a mold colony forms. 

For these people, black mold exposure symptoms can be dangerous. For others, exposure may feel more like a common cold or seasonal allergies.

Black Mold Exposure Symptoms

The symptoms of mold exposure, including black mold exposure, can vary from person to person. Those that are young or that have pre-existing health conditions often are more greatly affected. 

For some, black mold health effects can feel relatively mild like a cold or seasonal allergies. 

 For others, there can be long-lasting illnesses associated with black mold poisoning symptoms that don’t go away even after the black mold is cleaned. 

 The intensity of health issues that come from exposure to black mold can be reduced when the mold growth is discovered and treated early. The longer the exposure, the more likely health-related issues can occur. 

Coughing

Among the most common symptoms of black mold exposure is coughing. 

 The degree of the irritation that leads to coughing and the depth of the cough depends on the length of exposure, the medical history of the person, and the size of the mold colony that is emitting spores.

Wheezing

Wheezing happens when the airways are tightened, blocked, or inflamed, making a person’s breathing sound like whistling or squeaking. 

 Wheezing can come as a result of inhaling black mold spores.

 Because black mold emits spores that float through the air, it is common for those in an infected area to inhale the spores.

 When you breathe in black mold spores, your lungs can become irritated. This typically causes a cough, but can also cause you to wheeze as your lungs work to fight off the offending spores.   

Nose Stuffiness

A stuffy nose that comes from exposure to black mold can feel, to most people, like that of a common cold or seasonal allergies.

 Like wheezing, your body reacts to the spores that are inhaled from a mold spread.

 This inhalation causes irritation, and your nasal passages respond by becoming stuffy to protect you from spores entering your system.

 In most cases, this is a more annoying symptom than dangerous.

Red Or Itchy Eyes

In truth, there aren’t many areas of your body that cannot be irritated by exposure to black mold spores. 

 The eyes are no exception.

 For most people, exposure to black mold can cause their eyes to become irritated, itchy, and red. This happens as a result of the body responding to the spores and working to fight them off.

Skin Rash

Skin can become inflamed and irritated as a result of black mold in a few different ways.

 The first happens when black mold spores that have left the colony and are floating in the air come in contact with skin. This can cause inflammation and result in red or itchy spots.

 You might also discover skin irritation after touching black mold. The mold itself can cause irritation.

Sore Throat

A sore throat happens after exposure to black mold because the mold spores are taken in through your mouth and cause irritation to your throat.

 In the most severe cases, a throat can become extremely inflamed and cause not only discomfort but affect our ability to eat, swallow and speak. 

How Is Black Mold Exposure Diagnosed? 

Illness caused by mold exposure often leads people to seek medical care. 

 Once at the doctor’s office, a blood test can determine black mold exposure. Called the radioallergosorbent test, this blood test can measure your immune system’s response to black mold. 

 Other symptoms may require X-rays, and doctors can identify black mold exposure in some cases viewing lung damage.

How Is Black Mold Exposure Treated? 

When exposed to mold there are many illnesses, in varying degrees of severity, that can happen to a person. In many cases, these symptoms lead to a doctor’s visit.

 Treatment for mold allergies and exposure symptoms may include nasal sprays or rinses, creams, or other medications prescribed.

What To Do If You Find Black Mold In Your House

Finding black mold in your home is a stressful event. The discovery often occurs after a water or fire loss.

 As black mold thrives on moist materials, it can be found on everything from tile to carpet to insulation and beyond.

 When you suspect black mold is growing in your home, it is recommended that you reach out to professional mold remediation and mitigation services, like HRS Restoration Services in Phoenix and Denver. 

 Professional mold remediation specialists are able to assess the source of the mold growth, dry and clean the affected space, and return your home to its pre-damaged condition.

Why Choose HRS Restoration Services 

HRS Restoration Services is the leader in mold restoration in Denver and Phoenix, helping homeowners return their properties back to life after mold, water, fire, or other traumatic damage-causing events. 

 With two decades of experience helping homeowners like you, our certified technicians, licensed contractors, and customer service professionals are able to complete the restoration and mitigation process in as little time and with as little stress as possible.

 It is our mission to be with you from the first call. When a loss occurs, we help your family get back to health and home.

Contact HRS Restoration Services Today! 

No matter if you have found mold growing in your home, have suffered a fire or traumatic event, our certified team is ready to help.

 At HRS Restoration Services, we are ready for your call. Together we can find the mold, stop the water that allows it to grow, and get you back home quickly. Protect your home and family, and call when a loss occurs.

Always Available

Anytime of day, any day of the year, HRS is here to fix what may seem overwhelming and intimidating. Our professionals in Denver and Phoenix are here to help 24/7.

what is iicrc and Why is it important?

IICRC stands for the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification. Formed nearly 40 years ago, it is a non-profit organization that establishes globally recognized standards for the cleaning and restoration industry, as well as providing certifications, journeyman and master designation, and education.

By choosing a firm with IICRC certified team members, you are assured the cleaning professionals have undergone rigorous training and will handle your disaster restoration with the highest standard of care.

Approach

Helping Our Customers Immediately.

Figuring out what steps to take when disaster strikes can be a daunting task. HRS is here 24/7 to walk you through the process and bring your home or business back to habitable condition(s).

Taking care of emergencies so you don’t have to.

At HRS, we understand the panic that can set in when your basement floods or a fire breaks out at your business. We are here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to repair damage and give you peace of mind.

U

Investigate

Clean

Repair